Friday, March 24, 2006

Hanoi

OK, well kniod of a bit settled here. Basically living right in the middle of the city. My rputine is get up, lounge for a bit, venture out a different way on the streets and luckily find my way back each day. The streets in the city are stright(?) and diagonal, so it's eay to get lost and recover ground you have previously. There's a street for everything, like shoes, silks, art galleries etc. Got into some more shopping last night. The galleris are amazing, with artists painting the most extraodinary reproductions of all styles of painters, Van Goh, Kandinsky and Dali amongst others. Em and I go for a wander about to explore the streets after she gets in from work, go and eat and just wander about. I have her use her basic Vietnmese to ask how much things are, lots of places let you know in US dollars which is interesting.
The traffic is crazy, but not quite as crazy as Mumbai, though 90% of the vehicles are motorbikes and scooters. Crossing the road is fun, dogding in and out of these. You look at the raod and it's clear, 1/2 way across there's 100 motorbilkes coming at you! I haven't seen blue sky since I got here and the air is quite polluted. I've got a goddamn cold which doesn't seem to be getting any better, but just like Mumbai, it'll take longer because of the air. We're thining of taking off to Nha Trang this weekend and Ho Chi Minh City to have a look about, and Em needs to check some of these places out for work.
Aplogies for the lack of photos recently but I have real issues uploading them from here and I cannot view my blog either. I only know it's happening as Luke from work confirmed it for me.
Out for now, Chevlis in Vietnam.

No comments: